The Manhattan of Emirates

 

Published in Hans India News Paper, Hyderabad.


 
 

My visited Abu Dhabi, I was spellbound by the infrastructure of the second largest city in the UAE built on a T shaped island. It’s hard to believe as to how much of reclaimed land has been developed.  Myriad of beaches, skyscraper building and the amazing shapes they are built in. Without doubt, I can say that at one glance, the city reminds you of Manhattan.

My keen interest in history forced me to visit the breakwater on the cornice where the Heritage Village is located. More than the history I was fascinated to have been standing on the reclaimed land.  When I was told, there are more than a dozen islands built on reclaimed land, I decided to visit at least some of them if not all.  Lulu Island is believed to be the oldest so I decided to visit this 1,000-acre man-made island but to my bad luck, entry was prohibited due to some development work in progress.

Another island that got me interested was Yas Island. Although not an automobile enthusiast, I was told that this island has gained popularity for World’s first Ferrari Indoor Theme Park and relates the Ferrari story through various exciting rides and other interactive attractions which I had the opportunity to experience.  I was not yet content with the Island trips so I opted to visit Bani Yas Island known for its wildlife sanctuary and is home to nearly 10,000 animals like Arabian Oryx, Gazelles, Giraffes, Hyenas and Cheetahs. I was advised to visit Saadiyat Island and Al Futaisi Island also but due to time constraint, I decided to skip them as I had to cover up other attractions in the city.

I have seen a lot of old architecture, but I must say that Abu Dhabi boasts some exquisite architecture. Emirates Palace Hotel which has been built on reclaimed land is a marvel to view. Visitors are allowed to take a tour and view the exclusive interior but I believe it is mostly being used for the international delegates and high dignitaries.

During the city tour, the sight of a Mosque caught my attention and I stop by to view this architecture called The Grand Mosque. There is a dress code to enter the Mosque so I had to content myself by viewing it from outside. One of the workers stated that it is one of the world’s largest Mosques with the capacity to accommodate 41,000 worshipers at a time. The mosque features 82 domes and it has 24 carat gold plated chandeliers inside. There is a carpet which is believed to be the world’s largest hand knotted carpet. Had I been appropriately dressed, I would have been lucky to view this. Nevertheless, I moved on to view some more attractions and realized there was no end to the fascinating skyscrapers. The city seemed full of glass buildings in various shapes, sizes and colors. There was a glass building made in the shape of a coin. There was another one that looked like Pineapple. It was really difficult for me to assimilate the sight.

Abu Dhabi culture is very strongly rooted in Islamic traditions but they are equally tolerant towards followers of other religion.  For food enthusiasts, it is pure haven as you can avail all types of cuisine.

Comments

Popular Posts